Many of us grew up believing that wisdom tooth extraction was the worst thing that could happen at a dentist’s office, and that idea might come from listening to other people’s terrible experiences in which an unqualified doctor performed the surgery.
Let us explain to you a little more about why this surgery it’s necessary and the procedure you’ll undergo, you’ll feel a little more at ease with this information.
Do I Need a Wisdom Teeth Removal?
Wisdom teeth are the third set of molars in the back of your mouth, and they usually appear between the ages of 17 and 25.
It’s a very common problem that when this moment comes, there may not be enough room left in your mouth for them to erupt, causing them to emerge at an angle they may crowd the mouth, and sometimes they won’t even fully emerge, leading to future oral health problems like infections and pain.
With the help of your dentists and panoramic x-rays, you’ll be able to know the position they come in.
Most people need to undergo a Wisdom Teeth Removal Procedure for one of the following reasons:
- They’re impacted. This happens when they cannot come in normally because they're so far back in your mouth, and they stay trapped in your jawbone or gums.
- They come in at the wrong angle. They will cause pressure on your other teeth.
- Your mouth isn’t big enough. Your jaw has no room for an extra set of molars.
- You have cavities or gum disease.
Some Signs That Your Wisdom Teeth Are Coming In
Headaches may appear when your third molars are coming in, along with swelling in gums near the wisdom tooth area, jaw pain, difficulty to open the mouth and to swallow, fever, and in the worst cases pus coming from the gum.
Wisdom Teeth Removal in Mexico Procedure
Once you’ve been evaluated by a certified oral or maxillofacial surgeon we recommend you to talk to him about your preferences, whether you’d like local or general anesthesia or IV Sedation.
He must explain to you the benefits of each and care about your requests, as well as health problems you may have or drugs you take on a regular basis.
The pain, swelling, and discomfort that follow this procedure is a normal part of the healing process, this is why you should take some days off from work in order to have a faster recovery.
Talk to your doctor about your schedules and when the procedure fits best on your agenda.
Whether you’ll get your four wisdom teeth or just one, the surgery should take at least 60 minutes.
Post Surgery Care
Anesthesia takes a couple of hours to leave our body, so ask a friend or relative to pick you up and take you home after your surgical procedure. We don’t recommend you to drive under the influence of anesthesia.
Yes, you will have pain the next couple of hours after your surgery, but your doctor must give you pain medication in order for you to feel comfortable during your recovery period.
You might also have swelling and mild discomfort for around three days.
If you want a quicker recovery, follow the next instructions that our dentists at Sani Dental Group give to all of the patients that just went through this procedure:
- Use an ice pack on the swollen area.
- Gently open and close your mouth to exercise your jaw every couple of hours.
- Eat soft foods like pasta, rice, or warm soup
- Drink plenty of fresh fluids.
- Brush your teeth starting the second day. Don’t brush against any blood clots.
- Take the drugs your doctor prescribes to ease pain or swelling.
- Call your doctor if you have a fever, or if your pain or swelling doesn’t improve.
- Avoid drinking through a straw. Sucking may loosen blood clots that help your mouth heal.
- Don’t rinse your mouth too harshly. We suggest you rinse gently with salt water.
- Avoid hard, crunchy, or sticky foods that may scratch your wounds.
- Don’t smoke. through will slow your healing incredibly.
Where Should I Go?
Sani Dental Group is located in Mexico with two locations, one in Los Algodones just 7 miles away from Yuma, AZ, and the second one in Playa del Carmen, just a few minutes away from Cancun.
With two locations and three clinics, Sani Dental Group has become the largest dental clinic in the area, with more than 35 specialists and professionals at your disposal.
Thanks to the recent collaboration made with Baja Surgery Center, now our patients have access to a private O.R where they will be able to undergo treatments such as Wisdom Teeth Removal, Zygomatic Dental Implants, and more; all under the supervision of our maxillofacial and oral surgeons.
Having a healthy smile should not be postponed. Give us a call, our team of patient coordinators is ready to assist you!