US-Mexico Border Reopening
The Los Algodones border crossing hours have returned to their normal schedule opening at 06:00 AM and closing at 10:00 PM California time for all travelers, including non-essential travelers. If you have any questions or doubts about how this could affect your dental appointment, please call us at (928)-257-1307
Your smile says a lot about you. That's why people seek for cosmetic dental treatments; because they want to have an appealing smile. Yet, many people are not aware that several conditions they believe incorrigible have a solution. One of those conditions (and one of the most common) is the gummy smile. Fortunately, there are different options to treat this condition for anyone who feel uncomfortable with the appearance of their teeth. Here we share with you what you can do about a gummy smile.
What Is a Gummy Smile?
First of all, we must mention that sometimes a gummy smile is a matter of perception that can vary from person to person. While someone may think that he/she has a gummy smile, another person can be completely ok with it and not notice it. Usually, a gummy smile is perceived when four millimeters of gum tissue shows. As we mentioned, the diagnosis of a gummy smile can be subjective, but if you don't feel comfortable with your smile, you're entitled to do something about it.
What Can Cause a Gummy Smile?
There are several possible causes of a gummy smile, including the following:
- An abnormal eruption of the teeth that causes teeth to be covered by excessive gum tissue. Even when teeth can seem short for the excessive gum tissue, they may actually be the proper length.
- An over-developed elevation muscle of the upper lip that causes the lip to rise up higher than normal and making gums too visible.
- Undersized teeth that make gum tissue to look more prominent.
If you've suffered from any of these causes that lead to a gummy smile and you want to fix it, in any of those cases is possible to repair it and next we'll tell you how.
What to Do About a Gummy Smile?
Depending on the cause of your gummy smile (as shown above), there are different methods for treating a gummy smile, including:
- Periodontal Surgery. If the cause of the gummy smile is excessive gum tissue covering the teeth, a periodontist can perform a procedure removing the excess gum tissue to expose more of the tooth's surface.
- Orthodontics. Braces can be used to move teeth into more suitable positions and give them a better appearance.
- Maxillofacial Surgery. In a very severe case, a maxillofacial surgery could be the best option to reposition the bone and repair a gummy smile.
- Surgical Lip Repositioning. This method can be only used when the gummy smile is caused by a bad positioning of the upper lip.
It doesn't matter your case, you'll always have to visit your dentist before deciding to take any treatment to correct your gummy smile. He/she is the only one that can guide you through the process and help you decide what is the best option for you. Remember to visit your dentist at least twice a year to keep track of the state of your dental health. If you want to have a beautiful smile, you need to check your oral care on a constant basis.
Sani Dental Group is the largest dental group in Los Algodones and one of the largest in Mexico. We have more than 30 dentists to treat all your dental needs. When you're looking for the best dental treatments in Mexico, Sani Dental Group is your best option. Give us a call and one of our patient coordinators will give you all the information you need. Also, don't forget to subscribe our newsletter to receive special discounts every month. Your smile isn't something to be taken lightly, so give it the treat it deserves. Make a difference with your smile.
Let us know how we can help you
Sani Dental Group team is looking forward to taking care of your oral and overall health.