Published on: - By:
Every now and then there's something that reunites people. A reason so powerful that brings an entire country together. What we're talking about is Liberty. Today we celebrate 205 years as an independent nation and all we've reached together. We feel proud about Mexico, because despite everything we've been through, we always stand united. Living in this country means so much to us that one day a year is not enough to celebrate it.
In Sani Dental Group we are proud of our Mexican roots. We want to take advantage of this day to pay tribute to the country that has given us so much. The freedom we enjoy didn’t just appear one day, is the product of the fight of many heroes for several years. That’s the reason we share with you some of our traditions and celebrations of this day. Our hope is that you can see why we’re so proud of living in this country.
About the Day
On September 16, Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, a priest from the small town of Dolores near Guanajuato started it all. He rung the church bells and gathered people in front of his church, an emblematic event we call "cry of independence". Encouraging Mexicans to free themselves, he sowed the seed to recover the lands from the Spaniards. Mexico's Independence would not be declared until a decade after this event, but we celebrate how this was the beginning of our freedom.
Now every year, the President of Mexico repeats this event. On September 15, around eleven in the evening, he rings the bell of the National Palace in Mexico City. After it, he repeats a shout of patriotism with the names of the important heroes of the War of Independence. The event ends with a loud "Viva México" acclaimed by the president and all the present.
About the Celebration
On the morning of Independence Day, there are parades in cities and towns all over the country. The three colors of our flag are seen everywhere, it's a big national holiday. There are no classes in schools this day so everyone can enjoy the parade. We celebrate because today we're a free country, with rights and benefits. And if we could born again? We would be born in Mexico again, that's for sure.
The food is always an important part of this holiday. Literally, hundreds of food stands appear offering traditional dishes. Even the restaurants change their menus on this month to offer these foods. Everywhere you go, you can see delicious Mexican food and the flag waving. Every city in the country dresses itself in red, white, and green.
A Few Facts You May Not Know
- Independence Day is September 16, not May 5. The latter refers to the victory of Mexico over France in the Battle of Puebla. Shocking, right?
- October 2 was the original date of the revolt. The Spanish government had suspicions about it, so Miguel Hidalgo started the revolt early.
- This day is celebrated all around the world. Wherever there is a Mexican community, there is an Independence Day celebration. Cities like Houston, Los Angeles, and San Diego have large celebrations on this day.
- The colors on the Mexican flag have a meaning. The green represents the Mexican independence. The white celebrates the religion, and the red is the union between religion and independence.
- It's a 2-day celebration. On September 15th, we celebrate reenacting the cry of Dolores, and there are parades on September 16th.
Sani Dental Group knows how important roots are. We're conscious and proud of our country history. The reasons for us to celebrate today are plenty, and we want to share them with you. We think of you as an important part of Sani Dental Group, so we want you to join us in our celebration.
We invite you to visit one of our dental clinics, our patient coordinators are always ready to give you all the information you need. Our top priority is not only to improve your smile, but to give you the most enjoyable experience. Don't forget that by smiling you can share happiness to the world, so why not smiling with beautiful teeth? Let us help you to make your smile beautiful.